Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Can I sync up to date with Outlook calendar without using MilkSync?

liuallen1030 says:
I used to sync my remember the milk tasks with Google calendar. However, after some research on the forum, I found you guys mentioned that it will at most take Google calendar 24 hours to sync from other calendar feed.

Then I think of Outlook. However, I found most of your documents are introducing the MilkSync which requires Pro account. So, I have 2 questions for you:

1. Am I able to sync with my Outlook calendar without using MilkSync?
2. Will the sync be immediately or it will be the same as Google calendar?

RTM is really expensive for the Pro account, but if this cannot be achieved, I will abandon RTM.

Thanks and look forward to your reply.
Posted at 4:10pm on September 3, 2018
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi liuallen1030,
You can use iCalendar in Outlook in the same way as in Google Calendar. You can review the steps for subscribing in Outlook to get started.

Hope this helps!
Posted 5 years ago
liuallen1030 says:
Hi Andrew,

Is this approach be synced in real time? Means that once I added a task, the outlook calendar will have a record immediately?

Thanks.
Posted 5 years ago
Hi liuallen1030,
Yes, the iCalendars are updated immediately. You may need to customize your send/receive settings in Outlook if they're not updating there as quickly as expected.

MilkSync can be configured to sync on demand or to sync at regular intervals.

Hope this helps!
Posted 5 years ago
liuallen1030 says:
Hi there,

No, I am asking whether we can do this WITHOUT MilkSync...

Thanks,

Allen
Posted 5 years ago
Yes, that's what I mentioned about using send/receive settings to change how Outlook updates. Hope that helps you get things updating regularly!
Posted 5 years ago
liuallen1030 says:
Oh Ok, let me have a try and get back to you!
Posted 5 years ago
liuallen1030 says:
Hi Andrew,

I still have the issue. First I need to confirm with you that I failed to find the import from Internet, I only saved the Event URL from RTM as a .iCal file, then I import this file to my outlook.

And then, with send/receive to update the folder, nothing showed up if I created a new tasks.

Could you share some more detail steps?

Thanks.
Posted 5 years ago
I see, thanks for clarifying. That way wouldn't update because it's an import just at the time you saved it.

You can use the steps linked above to subscribe, copying that Events URL instead of saving it first.

If that's not what you're seeing in Outlook though, you may want to review the steps there; this article from Microsoft has more steps.

Keep us posted!
Posted 5 years ago
liuallen1030 says:
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply.

I did import the iCal into my Outlook calendar, thanks for that. But from the Outlook article you shared, it mentioned that worstly the updates can be more than 24 hours, but usually 3 hours. Still very long for me I think, any settings we can do to outlook so that it can sync directly?

Thanks
Posted 5 years ago
I don't have any other details to share that would help for sure, except that I read some tentative details about send/receive settings. I could not find anything that affected the calendars, but that may depend on your accounts.

Keep us posted what you find!
Posted 5 years ago
emadrigalr says:
Hi to you. I had the same need last days. I resolve it using Microsoft Flow, the action what the flow do is when you create an event on outlook calendar sends a mail to the RTM mail, (e.g. user+39c3ae@rmilk.com).

Steps:

1. Create a new Flow from cero.
2. Choose Outlook as the app trigger, connect it, and choose "When a new event is created (V2)"
3. Choose the calendar into Outlook you want to use, click in next step.
4. Choose the App Action as Outlook and choose "send an email"
5. Look at here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YCmEcDM2KqGhia4rNZ_o1cVZ3FndtE-dsLAb74ROr3o/edit?usp=sharing
6. Save and activate the flow.

Note: This is a personal solution and synchronizes within 5 minutes maximum. It works just to send the events from MS Outlook to RTM. This is the way I found but it is not an optimal solution. If someone have a best solution please share it.

I don't use MilkSync, because it just create the tasks of Outlook as tasks in Outlook but do not create the events as tasks in RTM. A lot of people uses Outlook 365 Calendar or Outlook Calendar in our jobs or personal use and this is crucial to us.

My invitation to RTM developers is to facilitate this function to us, it could be by an addition to Milksync App. I have read a lot of forums in RTM asking for a solution for this need.

I expect it helps.
Posted 5 years ago
Thanks for your feedback, emadrigalr! I've passed that around the rest of the team.
Posted 5 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.